Representation The ideology of representation in media is one which is theorised by many philosophers as it is very important in todays society. Stuart Hall's theory of encoding and decoding is an important part of audience theory and aids to help audience how an audience will think. This theory suggests that the director encodes a particular message or meaning which the audience can analyse and decode to find out the meaning. Hall believes decoding is the most important part of theory as not many theorists analyse it. We decode depending on psychographics and demographics personal to the viewer. Hall also believes that audience members adopt one of 3 opinions to what they are seeing: Dominant / Preferred reading - this is the opinion which the director wants the audience to take. This will likely be due to a similar age, culture or background which the audience member and director may share. Oppositional reading ...
Brief & Reaction Option 1: Film opening task (video) Main task: the titles and opening of a new fiction film (to last a maximum of two minutes). Titles should follow the institutional conventions of commercial cinema. The task may be undertaken individually or as a group. There should be a maximum of four members to a group. All images and text used in the main task must be original, and produced by the candidate(s). Sound should be predominantly original (dialogue and atmospheric sound), though music taken from an acknowledged source may be used as part of the soundtrack. This task should be preceded by relevant preliminary exercises to build up candidates’ skills with equipment and their understanding of conventions. After reading both briefs, I researched more into what a thriller is, as I already knew the basic outline of the magazine task. This opened my eyes as I found that movies I thought were action actually turned out to be thrillers. Immediately, I decided to take on the...
Comments
Post a Comment